Canada Water Campaign  
 
Latest News Home Page CWC Vision CWC Bulletins CWC Constitution Links to other websites
 
     
  Canada Water Campaign Bulletin13-01-2003  
     
 

CANADA WATER CONSULTATIVE FORUM

MONDAY, 13 JANUARY, 2003 @ 7.00pm
ALFRED SALTER PRIMARY SCHOOL , ROTHERHITHE 

Apologies: Jackie Rose
Tel: 020 7231 7845
Fax: 020 7252 2288
Email: canadawater@timeandtalents


 
 
 

MINUTES OF MEETING

CANADA WATER CONSULTATIVE FORUM

Minutes: 17
Date: 13 TH January, 2003
Venue: Alfred Salter Primary School , Rotherhithe

FORUM MEMBERS :

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

David Brunskill

(DB)

P

Cllr Lisa Rajan

(CLR)

x

Cllr Fiona Colley

(CCF)

x

Cllr Columba Blanga

(CLB)

P

Gary Glover

(GG)

x

Barbara Lawless

(BL)

x

Pauline Adenwalla

(PA)

P

Brian Hodge

(BH)

P

Janet Hodge

(JH)

x

Alistair Macalpine

(AM)

P

Theresa Veith

(TV)

P

John Hellings

(JHs)

P

Simon Hodge

(SH)

x

Nick Dunne

(ND)

P

Lisa Hollamby

(LH)

P

Stephen Platts

(SP)

x

Pascale Rosenbloom

(PR)

P

Noel Ashton

(NA)

P

Rev. Andrew Doyle

(AD)

x

Cllr Jeff Hook

(CJH)

x

Peter Brooks

(PB)

x

Cllr Gavin O'Brien

(CGB)

x

Barry Albin-Dyer

(BAD)

P

Adam Faulkner

(AF)

P

Jackie Rose

(JR)

P

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

APOLOGIES:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Lisa Rajan

(LR)

 

Cllr Gavin O'Brien

 

 

Cllr Jeff Hook

 

 

Stephen Platts

(SP)

 

Gary Glover

 

 

Peter Brooks

 

 

Janet Hodge

(JH)

 

Simon Hodge

 

 

Bob Muid

(BM)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUESTS:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eve Fawcett (Ampurius)

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Cathy Bowman ( Executive Member for Regeneration & Economic Development)

Val Shawcross (London Assembly Member Lambeth & Southwark Greater London Authority)

Will Steadman (Planning & Partnerships Team Directorate of Borough Partnerships, TfL

1 . WELCOME & APOLOGIES:

DB warmly welcomed guests Valerie Shawcross (GLA) and Will Steadman (TfL). Barry Albin-Dyer (Local Business Representative) was also formally welcomed to the Forum.

2. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING (25/11)

Agreed.

3. MATTERS ARISING:

None.

4. ACTION POINTS FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS (13/1):

Confirmation Joseph Rowntree Foundation report included with Appendices to the Master Brief. CD roms – no long considered necessary for the public. Small supply to be provided

JH/SP

Quality Panel: Short-listed developers to be circulated to community/groups on 29/1

PR/JR

Exhibition Workshop: 7.00pm on 3 rd February at Alfred Salter (Cllr Blango, BH, PA, DB & BM) Information emailed to Forum

PR/JR

Forum to officially write to Southwark Council requesting that Shopping Centres plans be Displayed in conjunction with public exhibition/consultation by shortlisted developers

DB

Senior officer to consider Forum resolution that Shopping Centres plans be displayed in conjunction with public exhibition/consultation by short-listed developers

SP/PR

Site D: Establish a) who owns land in question, b) is it held in trust and c) is it public right of way? Ampurius to provide documents to substantiate their claim –if found not to be part of Site D,

Fencing to be removed immediately (Cllr Bowman and Paul Evans also investigating position)

PR/AF

CLR

Downtown: PR writing to occupants within 500 metre radius of site. TA/RAs, BRDP and other community groups would also be notified and asked to comment on proposals

PR/JR

Forum members to urge their respective membership to write to GLA/TfL on (a) possible closure of Rotherhithe Underground station and (b) lack/quality of bus service in the area

Comm.

Reps

Forum to write officially to GLA/TfL re possible closure of Rotherhithe Underground station

DB

Forum members to urge their membership to write to Southwark Council re unsuitability of red-routes 24/7 Jamaica Road & Lower Road

Comm.

Reps

Forum to write officially to Southwark Council re the unsuitability of 24/7 red routes on key roads

DB

Youth Paper: see temporary use of land below

 

Temporary use of land: (a) Approach Youth Service & (b) professional team re ‘event'

SP/PR

Mellish Fields: Investigate current position with Sport England Centre of Excellence

CLR/PR

5. FEEDBACK ON QUALITY PANEL:

BH provided an update on the process and briefly outlined how the shortlist was selected. Information will be made available to the community as soon as possible. Southwark had given an assurance that the shortlist will be circulated to the community on 29/1 following agreement of the Executive Committee (28/1). It is envisaged that there will be a consultation period of 3 months following notification when plans will be worked through and refined. The short-listed developers will bring back formal designs and formulate ideas. PR will liaise with JR to ensure that the information is as widely disseminated as possible. PR advised that the developers will now begin preparing exhibitions but LBS would have control to ensure that there was complete transparency.

PR also suggested Forum members may wish to participate in an ‘exhibition workshop' to enable them to articulate their aspirations for the area and what they will be expecting from development. PR envisaged that this would give Forum constituents a better understanding to obtain comment and feedback from their respective groups (ie private and tenant housing, CWC, etc). It would cover elevations, details of housing, materials, etc. The workshop date was set for Monday, 3 rd February and will comprise of probably 4 individuals to work with PR and AF. It was hoped that 2 meetings could be held to discuss these issues.

PR will email Forum members with details and the following members expressed interest: BH, PA, DB, Dr Bob Muid and Cllr Columba Blango.

BH asked if it would be possible to engage the services of an architect to work for the community to enable participation at all levels and ensure it is inclusive to all. Kath Whittam felt a newsletter delivered throughout the peninsula summarising the number of houses, amenities, etc would be very useful. Cllr Blango was keen to ensure that the question of social cohesion was addressed and BH confirmed that each developer had been asked the same questions which did include this issue.

The MDB states that PR be notified of any proposed meetings etc between shortlisted developers and community groups to ensure that any promises, etc are logged. A record of discussions with the developers to be held in the public domain. PR/JR will co-ordinate.

JH expressed thanks to BH, PA and BM for the vast amount of work that has been undertaken and hours devoted to the outcome.

On a separate issue, BH said he hoped that Shopping Centres would be included in this consultation phase. PR agreed that she would take this proposal to senior officers and it was agreed that the Forum would formally write to Stephen Platts requesting that Shopping Centres be invited to present their plans.

6. PLANNING PERMISSIONS

Supplementary Planning Guidelines (SPG)

There was insufficient time for discussion and it was agreed that this item be added to next agenda as a focus item and BH would lead (3/3). It was confirmed that there had been a further extension to the consultation process (28/2).

Southwark Plan

The draft Southwark UDP has now moved into its second stage. DB expressed thanks to Policy Planning Dept. on behalf for the Forum for the consultation afforded to the Forum and the BRDP (representing the voluntary sector). BH felt that the method used (ie post) had caused difficulties. In addition, he felt the form's design, the delay in documents being available and the period of consultation (over Christmas/New Year) would adversely affect feedback. PA commented that it had not been displayed well in Libraries and it needed to be more accessible to the community. ND felt that representation to the Forum and BRDP had been good but he had since learned that many local tenants' groups had had great difficulty in obtain copies of the Plan.

Site D:

Eve Fawcett of Ampurius (owners of Site D) attended the meeting but due to time constraints, was only able to briefly address the Forum before a Q&A session. EF advised that fencing had been erected around the garden and public footpath at Albatross because of complaints from the community regarding fly-tipping and litter. PA and other members emphatically denied that this particular area had been blighted in this way and stressed that only Site D had been affected. EF advised that in her opinion the garden and footpath were part of land comprising Site D and she was in the process of acquiring legal evidence to substantiate this. However, EF did agree that she would look at re-opening the access road.

PA commented that documentation in her possession very strongly indicates that the garden/footpath are not part of Site D and during the coming week she hoped to put together evidence as a case for the removal of the fencing. Whilst Cllr Cathy Bowman felt the Forum was not necessarily the place to discuss planning arguments of this nature, she was adamant that Southwark Council would investigate the title and consult with their legal department. If it is subsequently found that this land does not form part of Site D, the council will take a firm view and enforce removal immediately. EF would arrange for someone from Ampurius to contact Paul Evans the following day (14/1). She also said she would give some resources to the process of adjudication if requested. Cllr Lisa Rajan, Paul Evans (Director of Regeneration) and Adam Faulkner (Project Surveyor) were looking into the matter on behalf of Southwark and the Forum will be updated on the outcome.

PA and other members of the Canada Water Campaign (CWC) voiced their opinion that EF had reneged on an earlier agreement not to build a 7 th block on Site D. EF recalled a discussion but denied that any such agreement had been given and commented that a nursery would benefit the community. She said there was no change to the original scheme. CWC maintained that this was opposed to their view and email correspondence would substantiate their claim. CWC understood that Wimpey were now involved with the site and EF confirmed that Ampurius had entered into a joint venture ‘to speed up construction'.

It was agreed that as a matter of urgency it be established who owns the land, whether any is held in trust and if it is a public right of way. Cllr Cathy Bowman agreed to revert and DB would like the question of what has happened to this land formally placed on record.

Downtown:

PR reported that 2 developer teams have been asked to prepare their next stage of ideas. Initial proposals may be revised following feedback from the community and the Downtown Panel have asked developers to come back to them with sketches/rough ideas to enable them (the panel) to contribute ideas at an early stage. The Panel has also expressed a wish to meet with representatives of other organisations. PR will be writing to occupants within a 500 metre radius of the site in early February and the Police, PCT and medical practice will also be asked for their comments.

DB pointed out that the medical centre had an immediate impact on the peninsula as a whole and those not living within 500 metres would not be given the opportunity to comment. He asked that TA/RA's, BRDP etc and other local groups be notified of the proposals and asked to comment. Kath Whittam was under the impression that the PCT have the final decision as to whether or not the health centre moves. KW also reported that it was her understanding that Downtown Health centre hoped to have a new building on the same site with additional facilities. Steve Cornish asked whether they would definitely be staying on that site and Nicky Saynor of the PCT said that the issue of moving depends on whether the health centre wishes to expand. LBS believed the commitment had been made by the PCT is ‘solid' and PR would keep the Forum informed of developments. PR said that the Downtown Panel had also worked extremely hard on behalf of their community and given a great deal of time and commitment. It was understood that there would be no loss of facilities during the development (ie not operating from porta-cabins) and a new surgery would be constructed before the old one was demolished. LBS wanted a self-contained medical practice manager but this could present financial problems and they are therefore unable to give a commitment on the issue of building above the health centre. Having said that, the new surgery would be self-contained, sound-proofed but LBS could not say at this stage if it would be ‘stand alone'.

7. GREATER LONDON AUTHORITY: VALERIE SHAWCROSS

VS had generously accepted the Forum's invitation to attend. She outlined her role as the London Assembly Member for Lambeth and Southwark and briefly that of Mayor Livingstone. She confirmed that consultation is presently taking place between the GLA and Southwark Council regarding the draft Southwark UDP and the Mayor's spatial development plan for London . She encouraged people to participate in consultation on the London Plan. A Q&A session followed and VS stressed that she would be happy to hear of local concerns and would do her best to respond. She kindly agreed to investigate the following issues and revert to the Forum:

•  Obtain a view from GLA Planning Decisions Unit on contrasting planning designations of Canada Water Area by GLA ( London ) Plan and the Draft Southwark UDP

•  Forward details of Planning Decision referral criteria to GLA

•  Seek TfL review of 24 hour/7 day bus lane ( Jamaica Road , Lower Road )

•  Look at the 381 Bus performance information

•  Take up the issue of ticketing for river buses

•  Pursue alternative to closure of Rotherhithe underground station in the event of East London Line Extensions going ahead

•  Seek TfL review of 2 road bottlenecks

•  Accident record of Jamaica Road/Rotherhithe Tunnel entrance

•  Investigate zoning conflicts

TRANSPORT FOR LONDON : WILL STEADMAN

Will Steadman outlined his role at TfL and again hoped to provide information through the Q&A session. He stressed that TfL worked closely with local boroughs as to which roads were red-routed and relied on their local knowledge. WS accepted that the increased development in Tower Hamlets, North Greenwich , Deptford etc would place additional demands on the Jubilee Line but signalling improvements were planned and additional buses being delivered. He further hoped that cross-rail and the possible London tram (through Burgess Park) would be given go-ahead. He accepted that travel via radial routes/cross-borough can be time consuming and VS asked that anyone with a suggestion for improvements or a more effective route altogether, contact them.

Both Forum members and the audience highlighted a number of transport problems with Lower Road and Jamaica Road and VS agreed to look into these issues. She also raised the possibility of closure of Rotherhithe Underground station due to health and safety issues in relation to the short platforms. She urged that those with concerns about such a closure write to London Transport (since understood letter should be addressed to the Strategic Rail Authority) and copy herself/TfL as soon as possible - if sufficient numbers feel strongly enough it may help build a case for retaining the station. TV said that closure of the station would present problems for those attending London Bubble theatre. It was a considerable walk to either Canada Water or Bermondsey and would not be suitable for school children, many of whom are aged 10-14. Lack of tube access would force more into car journeys.

A ‘smart card' will be introduced that enables passenger to move from one service to another. Many felt that if this could be offered on a river bus service it would be very well supported.

It was suggested that the Forum and local community formally write to Southwark Council with their concerns over red-routed bus lanes.

8. CONTROLLED PARKING ZONES:

AF advised that he is expecting feedback from the recent consultation within the next two weeks. BH expressed dismay again on the method of consultation. This issue would also be discussed at the next Forum meeting in greater detail.

9. TOPIC PAPERS

Health:

The first draft of a previous health paper had not proved satisfactory as it was based on the Elephant & Castle development. PR had arranged for the PCT to work with the Forum to produce a new paper from scratch and the first draft was expected later in the week. Sue Perkins (PCT) had attended a number of Forum meetings and DB looked forward to working with Sue and her colleagues. It was hoped that the paper would look at the following issues:

  • What sort of provision is available?
  • What are health issues?
  • How many doctors, dentists etc are there?
  • What access is there to hospitals
  • What prevention/recreational aspects are offered?

The last point was raised by Cllr Blango who felt that recreational facilities etc. relieve stress, provide exercise and do have preventative value. DB pointed out that some of these issues were covered under the Community & Leisure topic paper but agreed that this was also a part of preventative health care and should be included on the health paper. JHs felt that ambulance accessibility for the Peninsula (and Rotherhithe/Bermondsey) is already worrying given the levels of traffic caused by the red routes in Jamaica Road and Lower Road. The fact that A&E is not available at Guy's means that emergencies are directed to St Thomas's, Lewisham or Kings and given the expected increase in traffic outside of the congestion zone, he felt this subject should also be addressed in the health paper.

Youth:

PR believed that SP was hoping to get the Youth Service involved with a possible ‘event' but was not able to comment on the progress to date. Many expressed concern at the ongoing lack of a youth paper and the matter would therefore be discussed again at the next Forum meeting.

10. ASPIRATIONS FOR THE AREA:

Gary Glover (who raised the issue) was not able to attend this evening's meeting and this item would therefore be carried over to the next meeting.

11. TEMPORARY USE OF VACANT LAND

PR asked the Forum's agreement to enlist a professional team to assist with this project. She has good contacts with the police who are keen to discuss ideas for using this land. Funds may need to be utilised from the Youth Service budget for any proposed scheme and therefore their input is essential. PR also felt approaching schools would be a good idea. DB hoped that an early solution could be found as the land will only be available for 3-4 years and some time has already elapsed. The matter will remain on the agenda and be discussed at the next meeting.

Steve Cornish expressed the view that many of the children currently using Mellish Fields as a scramble track or hanging around in Russia Dock Woodlands causing problems, may prefer to use a purpose built area with ramps, hills etc. He also asked whether there had been any news regarding the Sport England Centre of Excellence. SC said that because football pitches on the peninsula were not available to local children affiliated to local clubs, they were forced to play matches at Sidcup and Orpington. DB advised that a costing exercise had already been undertaken, eg a BMX track for £120,000 and which had taken 3 months. However, the work has at least been done in preparation of an eventual solution.

Michael, a local resident involved with a project for African graduates, advised that he had worked with youths for many years and that in his experience kids need to get involved in physical activities. SC pointed out that there are at least 4 schools in the immediate vicinity and with the help of Southwark Park Rangers could plant trees and get involved in initiatives.

PR agreed to look into the position of Mellish Fields and report back to the Forum.

12. FUTURE PROGRAMME OF DATES:

 

 

 

 

7.00pm

Monday, 3 rd March, 2003

}

Alfred Salter Primary School

7.00pm

Monday, 12 May, 2003

}

Quebec Way

 

 

}

Rotherhithe, London SE16

 

ADDITIONAL ITEMS:

PR would like photos of the Forum reps to include on the website and future publications and a photo-shoot will be arranged for the next meeting.

Jenny Wingate will be writing shortly outlining the structure of Community Councils some time in February.

Co-option of Ethnic Minority representative:

Michael Massaquoi (African Graduate Centre) had expressed an interest in being co-opted on to the Forum in the capacity of ethnic minority. DB asked that he submit a thumbnail sketch of his background so that this could be circulated and included on the next Forum agenda.

Tesco extension plans:

PA asked what the current position was and AF advised that there were 1 x full plan and 4 x outline applications and he understood that there were approximately 4 weeks left. As referred to earlier, the Forum had resolved that Shopping Centres would be invited to display their ideas at the same time as the short-listed developers to ensure that the community had a balanced view.